I have been coaching some people with the keto diet for about 2 years now and sometimes I get the question: “can I go on keto without eating eggs”?
Yes you can of course, but there are some recipes that you would have to leave out.
Whether it is a food allergy or just a taste/smell thing, some people just do not like eggs.
I, on the other hand adore eggs and probably after eating them literally every day for the past two years, is not going to change.
My wife on the other hand is another story.
When we first started the keto diet, we ate fried eggs every single morning with bacon for the first week.
After that I made omelet and sometimes hard-boiled eggs. I knew I had to come up with something else fast, because my wife never likes to eat the same thing again and again.
So I thought what can I make in the morning without eggs?
I did come up with some recipes I am about to share with you guys that you can incorporate into your daily keto diet.
These are all going to be low carb options you can enjoy on the keto diet.
Cheesy bread sticks.
I love to make these cheesy bread sticks, they go great with almost everything and very simple to make.
The amount is up to you on how big you want to make your bread stick sheet and cut them into your desired pieces.
I cut small strips to eat next to meals or a bigger piece to enjoy as a sandwich.
Preheat oven to 350F.
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Almond flour ( gives it a more bread like texture)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- parchment paper
- *(optional) Italian seasoning
Stir all ingredients together and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Spread as evenly as possible with a fork.
You can leave it thick, or just as thin as you would like (experiment a bit).
Put in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes depending on how crispy you like it.
Take out, cool for 10 minutes, cut and enjoy!
Vanilla, chocolate or berry shake/smoothies.
These shakes or smoothies will leave you satiated for a long time, unlike those sugar filled shakes that make you thirsty and hungry after a short while.
- Unsweetened Almond milk (vanilla)
- 1 tbsp Hershey’s 100% cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup
- Ice cubes
- 1 scoop low carb protein powder * optional
Pour everything in a blender, mix and enjoy!
I honestly do not eat breakfast anymore, but these are great for people whom are in a rush in the morning.
Put them all in an air tight plastic containers.
Here are just some ideas you can add to your list of keto recipes.
- Rolled up ham and cheese. ( put some mayo and mustard in between the slices)
- Cucumber slices with tuna/chicken salad.
- Tuna or chicken salad on lettuce
- Cheese string and nuts
- Pickles, cheese and ham blocks on a stick
Chia vanilla cream (cheese)pudding.
Chia seeds are great on a keto diet and very easy to make ahead to grab and go in the morning also or as an dessert.
Chia has omega 3, calcium, high in fiber, vitamins B1, B2 and B3, high protein.
Chia gives you more energy, endurance, stabilize blood sugars, smooth skin, strong nails, helps with sunburn, Hypothyroid.
So as you can see you can have tons of benefits when eating chia seeds.
This recipe is great to make the day before so that the chia seeds can absorb all of that moisture.
BONUS TIP: Chia seeds helps with constipation.
- 30 oz. (almond, coconut, flax seed) milk,
- 1/2 cup chia seeds (you can add more for a thicker consistency)
- add sweetener to liking (stevia, swerve, Erythritol) I use about 2 table spoons Erythritol.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- OPTIONAL: You can add cream cheese (2 table spoons) but make sure to blend it with the milk in a blender to get a smooth texture.
Put everything into a glass mason jar and shake. Let stand in the fridge or counter for about 10 minutes, shake again for about 20 seconds and put in the fridge overnight.
Berry cheesecake pudding.
Keto has a limited amount of ingredients you can work with, but if you use your imagination the possibilities are endless.
This is a no-bake pudding very fast and easy to make.
- 8 oz. cheese cake ( 1 bar)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of any fresh berries you want (mash it before adding)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- *optional (2 tbsp of sweetener, erythrithol, swerve, stevia)
Mix, with an electric hand mixer until it looks nice and incorporated.
Spoon into small containers and refrigerate. You can eat it immediately, but the mixing makes the temperature go up and I prefer it nice and cold.
Heavy bullet proof coffee.
You have heard about bullet proof coffee, this is the heavy bullet proof coffee.
It is indeed the same as the original but with added heavy cream.
I do not recommend drinking it every day and if you do drink it, use it as a meal replacement.
Although we can use heavy whipping cream on keto, you can easily surpass your daily carb limit.
This how I make my coffee:
- Strong black coffee (can be one of those Starbucks with added flavors like mocha or caramel)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup
- 1 tbsp butter (you can leave this out, the HWC has good amount of fats)
- 1 tbsp Hershey’s 100% chocolate powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place everything in a blender and blend for about 10 to 15 seconds
It is going to be a big cup.
Pour in a big tumbler and enjoy!!
These are just a few recipes that you can substitute eggs for.
If you search on the internet you can find a lot more, and now that keto is really gaining popularity in the food industry, many keto products are now coming out for people who just do not have the time to cook every day.
But I do have to caution you on these products, keep in mind that most of these products are made by bog companies who sometimes do not have your health in their best interest.
Be sure to read the ingredients list and learn what ingredients can and can not be used on the keto diet. Just because it says low carb, doesn’t mean it will not kick you out of ketosis.
Many “low carb” products like even the “Stevia in the raw” packets have maltodextrin in them. A very high GI sweetener.
In all the “low carb” ingredient list you have to watch out for 3 of them:
*GI Glycemic Index: This is a system that ranks foods on a scale of 1 to 100 based on their effect on blood sugar.
Just to give you an idea of the GI of regular white table sugar: 63
- MALTITOL (SUGAR) GI level is: 52
- IMO FIBER (ISOMALTOOLIGOSACCHARIDE) :
- MALTODEXTRIN ( PRODUCED FROM STARCH) GI level is 85-105.
There are way more names for sugar, but these are the most common ones that you can find in ” Keto friendly” products.
Leave a comment or question below.